Green Book The Movie We Need In This Day And Age

Good day my friends hope you are having a great day! With everyday that goes by we get closer and closer to Christmas. It is by far my favourite time of year! There is just this feeling of goodwill in the air,such a magical time of year. A time when we can share all the fun and memories of the past year with our family and friends. Now that is the real gifts my friends...the memories and most importantly our family and friends. If you are anything like me than your friends automatically become family no matter how long you have known them they are part of your family and family isn't necessarily blood. It's the people who have become part of your life and share your weird little world. They listen and know your story, laugh at your jokes, get you and cheer you up when you are feeling blue. A rich person isn't the one with the most money, the biggest house, fancy car or expensive jewellery. No it is the person with most friends, because all that stuff does not bring happiness, it's the people who we care about that does. Or as I call my friends my group of weirdos! Because they would have to be to wan tot hang out with me. But friendship isn't easy, some stay and some leave but we never really lose them. We miss them when they are gone and are the happiest when they are around. Why am I talking so much about friendship you ask and not about the movie that I reviewing? Well it is because the movie that I am reviewing Green Book is a true story about how a lifelong friendship came to be! This movie stars Viggo Mortenson (The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy), Mahershala Ali( Moonlight) as Dr. Don Shirley and Linda Cardellini(Daddy's Home) as Dolores. Now that I have gabbed enough about friendship and believe me I can go on and on about them and even mention a few of my friends but I really think we should take a look at what the movie is about and my review on it!





The year is 1962 and the place is New York City, at the famous Copacabana Tony"Tony Lip" Vallelonga(Mortenson) is the toughest bouncer they have. But when the club is closed for a while due to renovations he is in need of a job to pay the bills to support his wife and kids. Struggling to find work, salvation comes in the form of an offer to be the driver for African American classical pianist Don Shirley(Ali) for his concert tour of the deep south. The tour would last two months and it might mean missing Christmas with his own family but the money is good and Tony needs the money. Hardly enthused to work for black man, Tony takes the job. He is told by the record company that he gets half of his pay now and the other half only if the entire tour is completed on time as scheduled. So the two men begin their trek armed with the The Negro Motorist Green Book, a travel guide for safe travel through America's racial segregation. The two mens different personalities clash at times with Don's snobbish and cultured ideals who likes to keep things professional and private find it hard at first to get used to Tony's crudely practical ways often clashing on each others attitudes towards life and ideals. As the tour carries on the two men start to earn a mutual respect for each other as they witness the appalling  injustices of the deep south. Don even helps Tony write letters home to his wife Dolores(Cardellini) and Tony learns more of Don's private side as the tour draws to a close. With Christmas s a day away the two men get the best present ever. The present of a lifelong friendship between two men from totally different backgrounds.





Now comes the real fun part my friends! This is the part where I get to critique the movie. But let me tell you that this is going to be one of the shortest and easiest ratings I've had to do in a couple of months. This movie had a beautifully written script with fantastic and realistic showing of the social injustices of the 1960's. But it was also a great story about friendship and family. About how two men who couldn't be more different overcame their differences and not only gained a mutual respect for each other but forged a lifelong friendship. It's a heartfelt and inspiring story that kept me glued to the seat and made me wish I had a few of my friends there with me to see it! Viggo Mortenson and Mahershala Ali were superb in their performances and had a great onscreen chemistry. To tell you the truth I could not really find anything wrong wight this film and I am giving it a 8.4 on The Justin Scale Of Movies. That of course earns it a spot on my Pick-It List of movies to see at the theatre. IT's the type of movie we need in this day and age. This  is just another movie to add to the list of so many great movies that have been released over the past two months. It is reminiscent of 2015 when there was plethora of great movies to see heading into awards season. As they say in the movie biz, that's a wrap here for my latest review! Until we meet again next week remember to keep that popcorn freshly popped and to save me a good seat because I will be seeing you again at the movies!

Comments