Not The Puppets You Expected In The Happytime Murders

Good day my friends! After a week off I am back! Where was I you ask? The answer is simple, I went out of town to run a half-marathon in Edmonton,Alberta and than on my way back home I stopped off for a few days to visit with some good friends of mine who live in Llyodminister. A nice little holiday on my month off from my 9 to 5 job! It was a good time and I have to say it has been a pretty good holiday. Kind of makes you put things in perspective you know! What I mean by that is that we get so caught up in our jobs, trying to squeeze a little bit of fun in sometimes seems like it is just not on the schedule. But we need to live everyday, enjoy the little things like time with family and friends. And while we can't stay on holidays forever it does give us that little bit of time we need to recharge. But all good things must come to an end! Hey! That's life but there is always a new adventure around the corner and opportunities for us all. And sometimes the opportunities and friends  we thought were gone come back again! Now that I've said that there is another thing that has come back around again! But they are not like how you remembered them! What I am talking about is the late Jim Hensons son Brian Henson has brought you some new puppets for a whole new big screen movie! Like I said though these puppets are not like you are used to and it is really not something you would expect in a movie more geared towards adults. That movie is called The Happytime Murders and it stars Melissa McCarthy(Bridesmaids) as Detective Connie Edwards, Elizabeth Banks(Pitch Perfect) as Jenny, Maya Rudolph(Chips) as Bubbles and Joel McHale(Community) as Agents Campbell. So let us take a look at this raunchy puppet comedy that the ads say is no sesame, all street and see if it can give us a few laughs and surprises.





In the seedy underbelly of the city of Los Angeles puppets and humans coexist. But puppets mostly known just being entertainers are often looked down on by humans. But there is one puppet named Phil who used to be an LAPD detective but is now a private eye because he was accused of not being able to shoot a puppet who was holding his partner Connie(McCarthy) hostage at gun point. He was branded as unreliable and fired from the LAPD for deliberately missing his shot but he never did miss on purpose. Now Phil is a private eye working cases trying to fight the good fight for puppets. But when he goes to investigate a blackmail case he is working on for a new client he becomes embroiled in a murder case instead. The murders of several members of an old beloved classic puppet television show and one of the victims is Phils own brother. Having been a witness at some of the murders Phil becomes the prime suspect.So Phil is forced to work with his old partner Connie who has no love for him to help solve these murders before Phil is imprisoned by the FBI for the crimes.





Now I know what you are thinking? Is this movie appropriate for me to take my kids to? After all it has puppets in it, it has to be for kids! Well the answer to that is no! This is not a movie that is kid appropriate!! It is geared more towards adults, that's why it is rated 18A. It is fully of over the top raunchy humour, drug references and tons of F-bombs. At a run time of 1:31 min it was in my opinion an okay movie! The story was fine but a little weak in spots, there was a lot of humour but it did take some of it a little too far. I knew it was going to be raunchy but not that much! It didn't have you rolling in the aisles that much but it did gets a few laughs out of me. For a movie of this calibre the acting was right where I expected it to be and that was par to sub par. I think the lead would have been better with a different actress as Connie. Melissa McCarthy seems to be just doing the same routine in all of her movies which was fresh at first but now has become a little tiresome. I went in expecting it to be a little raunchy but it was a lot. And don't get me wrong I didn't mind the humour, but there was just something in the story which I can probably say is the characters that needed to be more developed and some stronger cast choices that would have made it better. The puppets were funny as always but it was the human cast members that needed work. All in all an okay movie with some decent laughs and dirty humour but it was the acting  that brought its mark down and thats why I am giving it a 6.0 on The Justin Scale Of Movies and having to put it on my Flick-It List of movies to wait to see until they come out of theatres. My friends, that's a wrap on another movie review for me! Remember to keep that popcorn freshly popped and save me a good seat because I will be seeing you at the movies!

Comments