Skyscraper Tries To Go Big!

Good day my friends! Welcome to the middle of July! Yes we are half way through the month here. Seems summer is just flying by! This makes me sad. We only get so much nice weather here where I live up in Saskatchewan. But like a wise person once said " You have to enjoy everyday to its fullest!" Run, laugh, love and make memories. Spend time with family and friends. Lately that is a motto I have been doing! In fact I was recently just talking with an old friend of mine and we were goofing around taking existing movies and changing the plot a little, characters and title by putting people we know in it. Was quite funny what we came up with! But you know that is not much different than what Hollywood does as most movies are related in some aspect of design when created! This week I really noticed that when I went to the movies to give you the latest movie review. What am I talking about you ask? And which movies were used as templates? Guess you will have to keep reading to find out! But the movie we are reviewing this week is the action/drama Skyscraper which stars Dwayne Johnson (Jumanji) as Will Sawyer and Neve Campbell (Scream) as Sarah Sawyer. Will this movie take us to the edge of our seats or will it just make us want to leave it? Let's find out!





Will sawyer had a distinguished career as an FBI Hostage rescue team leader. Than one fateful night a hostage taker kills himself and one of his hostages by detonating a bomb strapped to his chest injuring Will who loses his leg in the blast. It is in the naval hospital that Will meets his wife Sarah who happened to be his surgeon. Flash forward ten years, Will and Sarah are happily married with twins a boy and a girl. Will now retired from the FBI now assesses security for skyscrapers. On a recommendation from a former colleague and friend Will is given the opportunity to assess the newest, most advanced and tallest building in the world in Hong Kong called The Pearl. Little does Will know he is being set up by a group of high profile criminals and his best friend to get his access to the buildings controls. The armed group take control of the tower setting it ablaze and disarming the buildings fire systems. Their goal is to get a something of value from the buildings architect and owner who lives in the top penthouse. Will now framed for the buildings fire and on the run, finds his way into the inferno to save his family who are trapped above the fire line inside the building, find those responsible and clear his name before the building is destroyed!





Now how does that sound my friends? Does it sound like a movie that you would want to see? I know what you are thinking! You are thinking that you still aren't sure about this and are still on the fence about it! Well, let me tell you what I thought and maybe you might be able to make up your mind. If you were thinking it would be another positive reply, than you are wrong here my friends. I'm not going to get nasty because there is no need for that! What I am going to tell you is what needed to be worked on here in this movie. Skyscraper had a decent premise with a chance to be a good movie. The story needed more detail and seemed rushed with numerous plot holes. The script was weak. The characters needed more development as they were weak and one dimensional. The movie seemed to rely more on its action sequences which were not bad and its special effects. It just seemed to me that what we had here was an attempt to recreate a Die Hard type of movie and mixing it with The Towering Inferno. And the attempt needed more work! In the end I am giving this movie a 6.3 on The Justin Scale Of Movies and putting it on my Flick-It pile of movies to avoid at the theatre. That's a wrap here my friends! As per usual remember to support the hard working people who work behind the scenes to make the movies we love and check out a movie or two in the theatre. Remember to save me a good seat and keep that popcorn freshly popped because I will be seeing you again at the movies! 

Comments