Silence Can Be Frightening In A Quiet Place

Good day my friends, how has everyone been? Good I hope! Myself I have been doing fine just trying to keep myself busy and working on other writing projects. But I didn't spend all that time alone just sitting around in solitude. No I did go out and spend time with family and friends especially seeing it was Easter not too long ago. You know I have to admit this that while it is nice to go out and have fun. It is also nice to have that peace and quiet too! A nice balance I call it! Too much of one thing can become our whole life and while in some instances could be good for us. We do need both and when one is gone it can become scary. Imagine a world where we couldn't make any noise, scary right? t know when I write I have to have music playing in the background to help me think and those who know me best know that I love to talk and would miss that if I couldn't do that either. What am I getting at here well I am glad you so kindly asked me! And if you are new to reading my reviews than you should know that when I start off one of my reviews I always do a little intro before I do my synopsis that has something to do with the movie I am reviewing. And as the music plays in the background and my fingers type so loudly on the keyboard of my laptop I am here to tell in you in text what movie I am reviewing this week. This week I am taking a look at the drama/horror/thriller A Quiet Place which stars Emily Blunt( The Devil Wears Prada) as Evelyn Abbott and John Krasinski (The Office) as Lee Abbott. This film was also co-written and Krasinski who also directed the movie as well. So lets sit back be real quiet and I will tell you what this movie is all about.






The world has become invaded by creatures from another world. To no avail all attempts to kill these creatures has failed as it seems they have no weakness. They are fast with a impenetrable shell making it hard to kill them. They are blind it seems but what seems like a weakness isn't as they have a great sense of hearing. If you make the slightest noise they hunt you and kill you before you can even defend yourself. So the world has become a like a post apocalyptic wasteland with the human population being hunted to extinction as they try to stay silent. Those who have survived have adapted to live a life of silence by using the information that they know about the creatures to stay alive. Such people are Evelyn(Blunt) and Lee Abbott( Krasinski) and their children. They live on a farm living off the land, communicate in sign language and are preparing for the arrival of their newborn child and teaching their other two children how to survive this world of silence. Lee it seems is a little hard on his kids but it is only that he blames himself for the death of his youngest child at the hands of one of the creatures as does his deaf daughter Regan. He constantly tries to make a better hearing  But it is only because he loves them and wants them to live. He even tries to make a better hearing aid for his daughter while trying to figure out a way to kill the creatures. But as hard as the Abbotts try and stay quiet to stay alive things don't always go as planned. Soon enough they are fighting for their survival, as they try to figure out a way to kill the creatures.





Well what do you think? Sounds scary doesn't it? It looked scary from the trailers that I watched online or saw on television. And let me tell you it sure was scary! It had a nice mix of drama and horror in it. It wasn't gory like you had seemed to see in most horror movies. But this was almost like a ghost story in a way where you never saw the creatures kill their prey fully. They used the aura of the silence to enhance the scene and scare you when the creature came out to hunt when a noise was made. This is what made this movie such a good horror/thriller. What also made it good was the story of course and that if you made sound the creatures would hunt you and kill you! A truly original story idea! What also enhanced the story was the character dynamics of this family the Abbott who lost a child to the creatures and that they are expecting a child which a crying baby would attract the creatures. The other great dynamic was the deaf daughter Regan played exceptionally by upcoming deaf actress Millicent Simmonds who blame herself for her little brothers death. Her being deaf while being thought of as a weakness actually turns out to be her characters greatest strength. A smart script with great performances and a thrilling movie that shows the terror that silence could be. It keeps you interested all the way through from beginning to end. This movie shows that you don't have to have a huge budget but just a great story. That is why I am giving A Quiet Place a 8.2 on The Justin Scale Of Movies and putting it on my Pick-It List of movies to see at the theatres. That makes it two movies in a row of great movies to check out at the theatre. One big budget, one small budget but both fantastic movies. For this naysayers that say there is nothing good to see at the theatre I say you are wrong and these past two weeks prove it as we draw closer to the summer movie season. Now if only the weather would co-operate and warm up to make it feel like summer a bit. Before I sign off here I am going to ask you as in weeks past to go out to the theatre and check out a movie. There is nothing like the feeling of it and Netflix or illegal downloading(which I am totally against) just can't substitute it. It's that time now to call it a wrap here on my latest movie review. Until next time keep that popcorn freshly popped and save me a good seat because I will be seeing you again at the movies!

Comments