Making A Death Wish

Good day my friends! Hope you are all doing well! So.... What is new with you all? Hope you all are taking advantage of new and exciting opportunities and not being stuck in that same old rut of life where the day just seems like a repeat of the next. I know for me I have been stuck i that rut for a while but have found new passion for my medium and hope to, wait that's wrong! What I should say is I know that one day in the near future that I will be where I exactly want to be. I also know that as a writer it is the moments and those around us that we share it with that shape us. The rest is up to us to act, to stand up and shake off our doubts and fears to change not only our world but the world around us for the better. But while we do tis we must never lose sight of what is important and is to always keep family and friends close in our hearts and to always show kindness and compassion even to those we don't think deserve it because they need it most. Wow! I kind of went off on a tangent there for a bit! I apologize. It's just that lately I have had a bunch of inspiration for change like I said earlier. After watching the news and seeing the inspiring people out there taking action for equal rights, the end of sexual harassment in the work place and the students of Parkland end to gun violence after the horrific shootings that took place there. They have inspired me to do the something to and that is to tell the stories I have in my head and share them with the world. But first I must share with you my latest review. A movie which is based on gun violence and that kind of glorifies it but as a reviewer I still have to do my job and review a movie even if I don't agree with what it is portraying. It is on the the action thriller Death Wish the remake of the former movie franchise which starred the late Charles Bronson. This new incarnation stars Bruce Willis(Die Hard) as Dr. Paul Kersey, Vincent D'Onofrio(Men In Black) as Frank Kersey, Elizabeth Shue( Leaving Las Vegas) as Lucy Kersey and Dean Norris(Breaking Bad) as Det. Kevin Raines. So let us take a look at this latest film to hit theatres as we enter the March lull and build up to summer movie season.





In the city of Chicago gun violence is at a all time high with there being victims continually. Dr. Paul Kersey (Willis) is a respected surgeon in the ER and see's all of the aftermath of this. But he is also a loving husband to his wife Lucy(Shue) and his college bound daughter. But one night after being called into work on his birthday his wife and daughter are victims of this same violence when they are attacked in their homes by a robbery gone wrong. His wife dies and his daughter is in a coma. The police Det. Kevin Raines(Norris) who is in charge of the case tells him that it may take some time to find the men who did it, to be patient that a break in cases like these quite often do happen. As days and weeks go by Paul is getting increasingly frustrated that no leads have been found and find it hard to sleep at night. So he decides to get a gun and hunt for assailants himself. So one night when a gun falls off a shooting victim he takes it and begins to practice using it and then goes out to hunt for the men who killed his wife and injured his daughter. His very first night he doesn't find the men he is looking for but does stop a car jacking killing the men who did it. But he is video recorded by a bystander and becomes a media sensation dubbed "The Grim Reaper" for the hoodie always wears to conceal his identity. He goes out night after night dishing out his own brand of vigilante justice. But with the police looking for him and the man who killed his wife after him and his now awake daughter who can ID the perpetrator. He must take one last stand to protect his family and stop his vigilante crusade before he is either arrested or killed.




Now let me say this and that is that I found this movie in bad taste. While I have to be honest do enjoy a good action movie once in while this movie tried to to show the impact on gun violence in a few scenes and how high it is. But in the end it went to show and glorify guns handgun violence by using the whole lone vigilante gunman dishing out justice which is wrong. And let me say that it is not the movies or video games that creates mass shooters it is the mentality of being armed to the teeth with military assault rifles, weak gun laws and glorification of it that creates monsters who most of them have some sort of mental illness. Now that is all I am going to say about that because I am here to give you a movie review and I don't live in the USA but in Canada but whenever I see a story about a mass shooting it breaks my heart! So lets get on with my review here! As an action movie it was sub par. The story was weak and rushed with too much focus on the violent death scenes. The build up and character introduction was fine. But the rest of the movie was just one big, long shoot'em up movie with little to no substance and some very poor and cheesy dialogue. It was a very predictable movie and had very little build up ending very quickly. In the end another poor remake that maybe could have been done differently or not at all! And with that said I am giving Death Wish a 6.5 on The Justin Scale Of Movies and putting it on my Flick-It List of movies to avoid at the theatre. Well that is a wrap here on my end for my latest movie review. As always keep that popcorn freshly popped and save me a good seat because I will be seeing you at the movies!

Comments