Looking For A Den Of Thieves

Good day my friends! Hope you have all been doing well! Me I am doing okay if you were wondering about that. It seems that we are starting to get into the dog days of the movie season as with all the studios having released some of their strongest releases for Oscar consideration as awards season is wrapping up with the nominations for the Oscars being released the other day and there are some strong contenders in every category. And I have seen most of those movies on that list here and even reviewed quite a few of them and some I have yet to see. But on the other side of the Oscars comes the Razzies which honours the worst of the movies. But we are not here to talk about either we are here to talk about the most current movies released in theatres this week. And like I said earlier with the studios releasing all their award worthy, critically acclaimed movies in theatres and this being the slow time of year at the box office you start to get some of the movies that are okay or not very good that might not garner that much attention in the busier times at the box office. I'm not saying that all movies around this time of year are bad or just okay because there have been some surprises in the past. And when you get to the end of this review you will find out if this movie is one of them! This week we look at the crime thriller Den Of Thieves which stars Gerard Butler( 300) as 'Big Nick' O'Brien, Pablo Schreiber( 13 Hours) as Ray Merrimen, O'Shea Jackson Jr.(Straight Outta Compton) as Donnie Wilson and 50 Cent(Get Rich Or Die Tryin') as Enson Levoux. So let me tell you what this movie is all about and then I will give you my verdict on the movie.





The city of Los Angeles is known for many things sunshine, beaches, earthquakes, palm trees, home of the movies and the city where the most bank robberies are committed. And in the city there is one of the most successful bank robbery crews led by Ray Merrimen. Having pulled off daring heists and avoiding capture by the authorities they become the target of LA County Sheriff's Dept's elite special crimes unit led by the tough as nails 'Big Nick' O'Brien a man with loves his daughters but often cheats on his wife, drinks heavily and has been known to use less than proper tactics when questioning a suspect. You see Merrimen and his crew have garnered attention after they killed some police officers after stealing an armoured car as part of their plan to pull off the impossible heist of the Federal Reserve Bank of Los Angeles. This movie follows the intersecting lives of both the O'Brien and Merrimen and his crew which often intersect both personally and professionally that ultimately lead to a final showdown between the two crews where only one will survive.






So first off I have to say that when I saw the trailer for this movie I thought that this looked pretty good, after all most crime sagas have a twist in them and can be pretty entertaining. That wasn't the case in this movie! While the plot was good, the story seemed to jump back and forth too much between the Gerard Butler's character of O'Brien and Merrimen and his crew. The character development to me didn't seem to be that strong. While there were some decent scenes that made this movie good, the best part was the last half hour or so of the movie. The movie seemed to move very slow along having me looking at my watch often which you know if a person does that it is not that interesting. In all honesty this movie did not seem to grab my attention as much as the trailer did. Also as there was some okay performnaces by O' Shea jackson Jr. and 50 Cent Gerard Butler 's performance was weak and I found his character to be very annoying. All in all not a very strong movie in my opinion it is not bad but in my opinion just okay. That is why I am giving it a 6.7 on the Juatin Scale Of Movies and putting it on my Flick-It pile of movies to wait to see after it leaves theatres if you still want to after reading this review. So that's a wrap here my friends on my latest movie review! Until next time keep that popcorn freshly popped and save me a good seat because I will be seeing you soon at the movies! 

Comments