The Greatest Showman Works It's Magic

Hello again my friends! Bet you thought you would have to wait for a day or two or even till next week for another review! Well on any other day you would have been right! But like I said in my previous review that I just posted a little while ago this is not your ordinary week! In fact you can probably expect at least one or two more reviews later on this week. What’s changed you ask? Well I know I may not give you most of the reviews you probably were hoping for in the past and I like a businessman or a good showman am giving the people what they want. And in this case it is a bunch of new reviews. the one thing I have always found though is that it is hard to find ways some days to word what I want to say with that little bit of writers block stumping my progress. But than it seems from out of no where I get some great fantastic idea on what I need to say and the words just flow out of me like a long winding river and begin to fill the page. Before you know it I have a full review article written! What inspires me you ask to help with my creativity. Well it can be a great many different things that will inspire me. Sometimes I have to sit for a while and think, I go for walks, work out or for a run but the one thing that helps me think and gives me ideas is listening to some classical music. But to tell you the truth it could be any kind of music depending on what I am writing about but it just seems that classical music helps the most. Oh crap! I’ve done it again! I have lost myself in another little tangent here! Or have I? You see when it came to creative ideas and giving the people what they want there was no better than one of the best showman ever, the great P.T Barnum. And it just so happens that the movie that we are looking at next is the musical that is inspired by the imagination of that grand showman Mr. P.T. Barnum called The Greatest Showman. This movie stars Hugh Jackman(Logan) as P.T. Barnum, Michelle Williams(Brokeback Mountain) as Charity Barnum, Zach Effron (Neighbors) as Philip Carlyle, Zendaya(Spiderman: Homecoming) as Anne Wheeler and Rebecca Ferguson(Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation) as Jenny Lind. So let us sit back and be entertained through song and dance about the birth of show business.




Young P.T. Barnum is just a poor tailors son with a good heart and entertainers spirit and holes in his shoes. While helping his father at the estate of a wealthy man he meets the love of his life the rich mans daughter Charity who disapproves of young Barnum even looking at his daughter. But the young girl has fallen for P.T. but her father sends her away to school but it does not deter their romance and they keep corresponding through letter while she is away. During this time P.T. starts to find his way in the world after his father dies and when Charity(Williams) has returned from school P.T. comes to her father to ask for her hand in marriage. Although he disapproves of it Charity leaves with P.T. and they begin their life in New York building a life together. Than one day after he is let go from his job after the company goes out of business he comes up with the idea of opening a museum of wax figures. But the people aren’t coming and the bank loan will need to be paid back and than his daughters tell him that he needs real people not just wax figures. This inspires him to find the most unique people to be in the show that he wants to put on at his museum. He finds many people from a bearded lady with a great singing voice, trapeze artists, a really tall man to name a few and soon after his first live show people start to come and he becomes a hit making him rich with sold out shows. But with every good thing there comes the negative. People protest his theatre wanting him to shut down and his “Freaks” to leave. But that does not deter him! He strives to keep going and even after negative reviews in the paper he uses it as a way to seek tickets and even change the name of his show and call it a circus. With the more success he has the one thing that he wants, he does not have and that is the approval of the high society class. He wants them to accept him and his family. P.T. hires a playwright named Philip Carlyle(Effron) to help him who falls for one of P.T.’s performers. And soon he and his performers have gained an audience with Queen Victoria herself. It is there that P.T. meets the singer Jenny Lind(Ferguson) who has been singing sold out shows in London. This inspires P.T. to bring her to the U.S.A to perform and gain the acceptance of the upper class. He banks everything and books a huge road tour for Lind leaving Carlyle in charge and neglecting the performers who he made a family. But after the tour is a bust when Lind quits after a failed attempt at a romantic advance on him. He returns home to a fire that destroys his circus theatre, the loss of his home from his failed investment in Jenny Lind and Charity leaving him after the papers reported that he was having an affair with Miss. Lind. So with the help of his faithful circus performers they inspire him to get back up after and not just rebuild his business but his life.






Now doesn’t that sound like a good movie? Wait that’s what I am here to do! To tell you if it was a good movie! Silly me! Yes, this movie was not just good but phenomenal! I know I have said this many times before and maybe you have disagreed with me on occasion. But this movie had a really great cast that put in some outstanding performances in a fun and yet heartwarming script about the birth of show business and the man who created it. This movie musical had a great soundtrack of songs that played well the tone of the story and either tugged at your heartstrings putting a tear in your eye or tapping your toes on the floor levying you singing the songs you heard long after you left the theatre. Hugh Jackman shows why he before he was a star on the big screen he is a great broadway musical performer. Michelle Williams was just magical as well showing why she is one of the top actress’s of our time. And Zach Effron is right in the element that made him a star but has come a long way since his High School Musical days. This was simply an amazing put together cast for this movie musical. I have to say I truly impressed here and over past few years we have seen a rising return in popularity of the movie musical. And with the success of La La Land and now this movie it seems that the musical has returned in a big way! That is why I am giving this movie a 8.0 on The Justin Scale Of Movies. Wow! that’s two movies in a row I have given that rating to! Well they both deserved them. And like the last review I did I am putting this movie on my Pick-It List of movies to see in the theatre. That about does it for me here on this review and I am calling it a wrap! Until next time friends keep that popcorn freshly popped and save me a good seat because I will be seeing you at the movies!

Comments