Saying Hello And Goodbye Christopher Robin

Good day my friends! Yes I know it’s Monday and I usually post my reviews on Wednesday from the movie I had seen on Tuesday night! But today I just needed to go and see a movie, I have been stressed out a lot from my job and needed something to get my mind off everything that has been running through it lately. They say everyone has their own way with dealing with stress. For me it is writing and and watching movies. For writing helps you put down your thoughts on the page when there is no one around to tell your troubles to. That piece of paper or computer screen is like an old faithful friend who doesn’t ever judge you. The same goes for the movies as well for me! It seems it has been that way since I was a little kid. I always found solace in the two mediums. Lately when I have had a rough day or week or in my case past few months I try and think about the happy times and the people who were to help make them memorable. But sometimes when the day has become so unbearable I tend to say that I am done adulting, a phrase my 22 year old niece uses that I borrowed. How right is that? We try our hardest and there are days that just seem like nothing is going right and it would just be simpler to be a kid again without worries or cares. Just playing games and making up stories to act out. I have lots of happy childhood memories that I look back on that bring a smile to my face! It seems such a shame that we can’t go back. The world has become so serious and cold these days I think it would be better if we all looked at the world through the eyes of a child, which is full of wonder, happiness and joy. But sadly we can’t go back! We all get older everyday and we must learn to live everyday to it’s fullest taking the good with the bad and learning something from both. Now it seems that I have rambled on again and have forgotten that I am here for and that is to give you a movie review. Well as always you know my ramblings always have some sort of connection to the movie I am viewing. Tonight we are looking at the biopic Goodbye Christopher Robin which stars Domhnall Gleeson(Star Wars:The Force Awakens) as Alan Milne and Margot Robbie(The Wolf Of Wall Street) as Daphne Milne. So let us take a look at the movie and take a trip back in time.





The first world war has ended and playwright A.A.Milne(Gleeson) has returned back to London after fighting in the war to end all wars. But he is having trouble forgetting the horrors that he saw over there often being startled by loud sounds or seeing visions of the war. But than one day his wife gives birth to their son Christopher Robin who they would also call Billy Moon. Living a very busy lifestyle going to play premieres and parties the couple hire a woman named Olive to be their nanny. As the years go by Christopher see’s Olive as more of a parent than his own parents. Needing a change of scenery to try and write and find some peace Alan Milne moves his family out of London and into the english countryside. This does not go over well with his wife Daphne(Robbie) who prefers the London and the nightlife. But she goes along and after they are moved in Olive brings young Christopher out to his new home. His mother gives him many new stuffed animals a donkey, a piglet, a tiger and last but to least a teddy bear which he at first calls Edward short for teddy. Alan spends his days building things and going for walks in the woods to try and find some creative spark to write his new book on the horrors of war. But much time goes by without him writing a word or even setting foot in his study which begins to frustrate Daphne who leaves for London as she had moved out to the country to support Alan wanting a quiet place to write. Olive and Christopher go for the day with Daphne to London and while there they attend the London Zoo. It is there that they see a black bear called Winnipeg or Winnie for short. So enthralled with the name that young Christopher names his teddy bear this. Than much to the displeasure of Christopher Olive leaves for a few days to tend to her sick mother, leaving the young boy and his father alone together for the first time. They go for walks in the woods and play cricket. Olive’s mother dies and she is away longer than expected. Alan and Christopher continue to bond and Alan is so fascinated by his sons vivid imagination that he turns them into first a poem he writes for Christopher and sends to Daphne in London. She has it published it for him which turns out to be be a big seller. he decides to than take his sons imaginary adventures with his stuffed animals into the what would become the world wide phenomenon known as Winnie The Pooh. The books become so beloved and bring hope and joy to England still suffering after the first world war. But what it also brings is fame to his young son who has become forever connected to the bear. He starts to lose his childhood having to do public appearances and interviews. Eventually after Olive gets engaged and quits her job she tells Christopher’s parents that he needs a childhood. But even when Alan decides not to write anymore books and give his son a childhood but this does not help much leaving his son to ridicule from classmates for years never being able to have some sense of a normal life and be his own man. With resentment for his father and his stories a grown up Christopher Robin with the help of his father joins the army to fight in world war 2. It is here that Christopher forgets his anger with his fathers stories and realizes just how much they have helped others forget their own unhappiness or troubles.





This movie was one when i saw the trailer that I knew had to see for two reasons! One being that it is a biopic and I love biopics. The other being that it is about the creation of Winnie The Pooh and most of us growing up heard those classic children’s stories. The movie was a interesting look into the life of author A.A. Milne and his family, particularly the effect it had on his family most notably his son by the fame it gave them. The movie was well written and insightful as were the characters. The portrayal of Milne and his wife Daphne were good performances by Gleeson and Robbie. Robbie in general portraying a woman who could seem so cold and unfeeling to a caring mother giving the voices to her sons stuffed animals. This movie was not your typical type of family movie but it did have a message about the importance of family. It was strong for the most part and had some heart even getting me to shed a few tears here and there. If you like a good biopic, you will more than likely like this one. It was one of those gems of a movie that you could only find in limited release.  That being said I am giving this movie Goodbye Christopher Robin a 7.4 on the Justin Scale Of movies and putting it on my Pick-It List of movies to see at the theatre this year before it’s gone. That’s it my friends, that’s a wrap here for me and this latest movie review. So until next time save me a good seat and keep that popcorn freshly popped because I will be seeing you at the movies.

Comments