Getting Pulled Into Jumanji:Welcome To The Jungle

Good day to you my friends! And a Merry Christmas to you all! Hope you are all having a great day wherever you are? It doesn’t matter where you are are in the world or if you celebrate it or not the spirit of peace and love that seems t surround our hearts this time of year is everywhere. It seems that our worries and differences seem to be lifted or maybe it is just me because that is what I see when I look around. I know there is troubles in the world but yet the spirit of good will and compassion to help people out in the tough times is that spirit that I was talking about. I personally believe that if we all worked together instead of trying to keep one another down or hurt one another this world would be a better place. Compromise and friendship! That is what makes us great! To do something just out of the kindness of ones heart without reward or agenda. To burry our prejudices and get to know someone because you never know you just might find a good friend! That being said I should really get to my latest movie review and no I did not go see one today! It is Christmas man! I do take a break,lol! No I went on Saturday night to see a movie because right now there is so many new movies out there that I want to see! Lucky for me there is a few days that I have off work to go and see them! But firstly I am going you as my special Christmas present my loyal readers who I consider my friends even though I have never met you a fresh review! For my first review this week I am looking at the sequel to the 1995 Robin Williams movie Jumanji. The sequel is aptly called Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle. This movie stars Dwayne Johnson(Fate Of The Furious) as Spencer, Kevin Hart(Central Intelligence) as Fridge, Jack Black(School Of Rock) as Bethany and Karen Gillan( Guardians Of The Galaxy) as Martha. So lets take a trip into the jungle and see if this movie is a fun adventure!





The year is 1996 and a teenager named Alex is given the Jumanji board game that his dad finds buried on the beach. Alex more into video games puts it aside saying nobody plays board games anymore. The game waning to be played evolves and changes overnight into a video game so that Alex will play it which he does and is sucked into the game. Flash forward 20 years later and four high school kids from different social groups Martha the overachiever yet shy girl, Spencer the gamer, smart kid that is pretty much afraid of the world around him, Fridge the star football player that used to be Spencer’s friend in elementary school and Bethany the pretty popular girl that lives for her phone and social media. On the this day it would happen that they would all be put into detention together. Their punishment to remove staples from old magazines in the basement of the school and stack them in an old supply room. As luck would have it they find the old video game machine that Alex’s father donated to the school after he disappeared 20 years ago. They decide to give it a try and plug it in. After choosing their game avatars they are immediately sucked into the video game becoming the avatars who are totally opposite of who they are that they chose with all having there own set of special skills and weaknesses along with the three lives they are given to complete the game. They find out their mission in this real life video game is to take a sacred jewel back to where it was stolen from by an evil archaeologist named Van Pelt to lift the curse off the land of Jumanji whose henchmen are trying to stop them. Along the way they start to use the skills the game gave them to complete each level and discover they need to work together in order to survive but also find Alex who has been stuck in the game with only one life left waiting for more players to arrive to help. So the five of them move along each discovering something about one another and bonding as friends trying to survive in order to complete the game without using all three of their lives  and dying in the game for real. 






Well how did that sound my friends? Did it sound any good to you? It did to me! As did the trailer look good as well! I can tell you that it was a bit better than the first Jumanji movie. It seemed to move along at more of a faster pace than the previous one did. The story was still pretty much along the same lines but instead of a board game coming out into the real world, it is a video game and you get to see inside the world of Jumanji that Robin Williiams character Alan Parrish left behind and even are shown his old jungle fort that he lived in. This one had a nice lesson too about becoming the person you are meant to be because you only have one life. The story was fun the characters while fun were your usual choice of kids from different high school social groups. The dialogue was fair with a fair amount of humour to go along with the action it had in it. Some of the jokes were funny and some weren’t and seemed a little forced. But everyones sense of humour is different  and that is why comedy is so hard to write. Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart seem to have a pretty good chemistry and had some funny moments in this film. But Karen Gillan had a funny scene where she was trying to flirt with some henchmen and fit in nice with the cast here. But the scene stealer really was Jack Black who played a the avatar that Bethany the popular pretty girl became. There were so many laughs coming from him and his character keeping me in stitches and I would have to say a very well written dialogue for that character which Jack Black brought to life. Some other reviewers would tell you that the movie was too predictable and unoriginal but in a movie like this thats what you will get. Besides the majority of movies are predictable and when something different is done people seem to not like it or it just doesn’t work for the story. All in all a pretty fair movie with a decent story, fun characters, some witty dialogue and on par performances by the actors. The bad guy character of Van Pelt could have been more menacing but it worked for what they did here. That is why I am giving this movie a 7.1 on The Justin Scale Of Movies and putting it on my Pick-It List of movies to see at the theatre right now. It was fun and something the family might like as well if you are looking for a different to see. Well that’s a wrap here for me my friends! Until next time keep that popcorn freshly popped and save me a good seat because I will be seeing you at the movies!

Comments