Facing A Darkest Hour

Hello my friends! Guess what? I have another review for you all today. Kind of weird hey? You would think so because I usually only give you one review a week and on some occasions I give you two but hey it’s the Christmas season and while it is technically over I wanted to give you more than one review before the year ended! With the 2017 drawing to a close the movie studios have bombarded us with multiple releases after the juggernaut blockbuster release of the latest Star wars movie. There were so many movies released since the 22nd that I didn’t know where to start and how I was going to manage getting reviews out for them all. But than I it dawned on me to spread them out throughout the next couple of weeks and I even have some free movie passes I can use. Look at me going off on a tangent again with something you probably didn’t want to know about. But in life you must do these many things the first is to follow your heart because if you do that you can’t go wrong it is always right. Have a plan and follow it through no matter how crazy your dreams sound to others. Stick to your morals and don’t compromise them because anything worth doing is worth doing the right way. And lastly believe in yourself! I can’t stress that enough! I know I have been doing that more and more lately. I know I believe that I can get all these reviews for you in the timeline I set for myself. And I know that I can also be a great writer one day because I believe in myself. This brings me to my latest movie review friends. This time we are looking at the biographical drama from director Joe Wright( Atonement) called Darkest Hour. This movie stars Gary Oldman(The Dark Knight) as Winston Churchill, Kristin Scott Thomas(The English Patient) as his wife Clemmie and Lily James( Baby Driver) as Elizabeth Layton. So lets take a trip back to the early days of WW2 to check out the rise of one of histories most remembered political figures.




The Nazi war machine is rolling over western Europe and on it’s way towards conquering France and Belgium with England in it’s sights. The ruling Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain has lost the support of not only his own party but of the opposition who have said that they would not support a coalition government unless the Prime Minister steps down and a new one is appointed. Chamberlain under pressure steps down and the only person the opposition would support as a replacement would be Churchill(Oldman). A very blunt man that can be a bit intimidating the members of his own party agree and name him as the new Prime Minister with the approval of a skeptical King George VI. Churchill while a very gifted speaker and intelligent man does not seem to have the support of the people in his own party especially those in the higher ups who are also on his war cabinet. His ideas of not backing down from Hitler and standing up to him and fighting him are met with constant suggestions of brokering a peace deal. As the war in Europe rages on with Belgium falling,France’s surrender imminent and thousands of British troops trapped on the beaches of Dunkirk, Churchill comes up with the idea to send civilian boats over to Dunkirk to help rescue the soldiers. But as he waits for the evacuation operation to be ready the German forces draw even closer and invasion imminent making things look bleak for the new Prime Minister. Along with all of this abroad he faces plotting in his own party to undermine him and have him replaced. As all these trials test his very will and sanity even questioning his own ideals of no surrender to broker a peace deal with Germany. He is given some support first by the King who tells him to go to the people and ask them and get their support. Than by the people who encourages him that England must not surrender and that they would fight them from taking over England. With this new support he faces his darkest hour and rallies his country with one of the most famous war time speeches ever given that helped inspire a nation and eventually turned the tide of the war.






I know that was a brief description of the movie but it was enough. Besides i don’t want to tell you too much if you should want to go and see it! Now let me tell you what i though of this movie. I had heard so many great things about this movie before going and seeing it. And let me tell you that they were all correct! This was a perfectly made movie. From the screenplay to the directing to the acting this movie was exceptional! It gave us a glimpse of what it might have been like back when the threat of a fascist regime bent on world domination was at the doorstep and what Churchill went through in the first month as Prime Minister. It was visually well done and had a nice mix of Churchill’s sarcastic humour that he was known for. Gary Oldman did a fantastic job as Winston Churchill and deserves all the praise he is getting for his this role and had some fine supporting cast with Kristin Scott Thomas as Churchill’s wife and Lily James as Churchill’s  personal secretary to name a few. All in all this movie was fantastic and entertaining really keeping my interest and because of that I am giving this movie a 8.0 on the Justin Scale Of Movies earning it a place on my Pick-It List Of movies to see at the theatre right now. I really don’t have much more to say here other than this is a wrap here on my latest review. So until next time keep that popcorn freshly popped and save me a good seat because I will be seeing you at the movies!

Comments