The Snowman Melts

Good day my friends! How is everyone doing out there in the world? Hope you are doing all good! Myself I am pretty good, can’t complain too much! I have good health, good friends and family and oh yeah I have movies. Plus I am close to finishing editing the screenplay I have been writing the past 6 months. Yeah I know it seems like a long time to write but this is something I want done right! It’s kind of exciting you know the thrill of putting your heart and soul into something and not giving up no matter how much you sometimes think you should. But that’s how success is built, you may not get it right the first time or even the second or third. Hell it could even take you 10-15 tries but eventually your persistence pays off. It’s exciting not just because I am almost finished it, but the fact that I stuck with it and also because I can start working on another story idea I had. It’s funny what excites us, the things we do and look forward to. They can sometimes be everything we always thought it would be or it or it could be what we didn’t expect and be even better than imagined. Than again it could be the total opposite and be a total disappointment leaving us wondering why we we chose that filling us with regret. You know movies can be like that more often than not. You see a trailer for a movie and think ‘Wow! This looks great! I can’t wait to see it!” But than we get there and see it and it is one of the scenarios mentioned earlier. Many times has that happened to me where I’ve had joy,excitement, surprise or total disappointment. But nothings always perfect in life and in the movies. So with that being said let us get to our movie review. This week we look at the Crime/Drama/Horror movie The Snowman based on the book by Jo Nesbo and stars Michael Fassbender ( Steve Jobs) as Harry Hole and Rebecca Ferguson ( Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation) as Katrine Bratt. So as the fall gets closer to the winter which brings the falling snow and cold let us take a seat in the warmth to see what the movie is all about and if it is any good.






In Oslo, Norway there is no one better than Harry Hole(Fassbender) at his job in solving homicides, his cases are even studied at the police academy. But Harry is a wreck being unable to sleep, keep a commitment or even stay sober. The once legendary Detective is now a shell of the man he once used to be. Than one day he receives a cryptic letter in the mail and shortly after that a local woman disappears from her home he teams with a brilliant rookie Detective named Katrine Bratt (Ferguson) who takes a special interest in this case. As a another victim is claimed but found decapitated and her head put on a snowman, the Detectives come to realize that they are dealing with decades old serial killer who loves to build a snowman when he claims a victim. As Harry digs deeper into the new cases and into old ones he is taunted by the elusive serial killer. What he also discovers is that his new partner has some secrets of her own, ones that connect to the case as her father was exactly like Harry as a person and as a cop. He also investigated into these same kind of murders ten years earlier and was even taunted by the serial killer too who eventually killed him. As suspicions are formed to the identity of the killer and more bodies surface. Harry eventually has a break in the case and must save two people he really cares about before they become the latest victims of the snowman killer and stop his twisted game.






Well that sounds good, doesn’t it? When I read about the plot and saw the movie trailers I thought that too! This movie intrigued me and I was looking forward to seeing it even watching the trailer on IMDB quite a few times. But than I read some advance reviews and they were not quite that favourable. But as always I was determined to see for myself if it was good or bad. Now I have never read this book so I can’t tell you what was left out of the movie to make it better. Because as I have said before this is a movie review and not a book review. But what I did find after seeing this movie was that I mildly disappointed expecting more from it. I found it lagged in parts especially when describing Harry’s life. It seemed to jump around too much for my liking and was hoping for more build up to the climax with the antagonist. It wasn’t overly bad though, there was some thrilling parts leading up to the climax which were exciting. But the middle of the movie needed a little work. The performances by Fassbender was usually what you get from him and that is great. I felt Ferguson was under used as a supporting character but still put in a fine performance. I also felt they could have had a little more conflict between the Harry and the Snowman killer. It feels that the script was rushed and could have used a little fine tuning or maybe a different director. So while I didn’t mind it and it did keep me some what interested there was too many holes here and while as a reviewer I have to put personal feelings aside and give this movie a 5.9 on Te Justin Scale Of Movies and put it on my Flick-It pile of movies to wait to see until it comes out on dvd or on Netflix. Well there you have it my friends! That’s a wrap on this weeks movie review. So until next time save me a goos seat, keep that popcorn freshly popped and I will see you next time at the movies!

Comments