Only The Brave A Story Of Courage and Family

Surprise! Bet you weren't expecting to be hearing form me today my friends! But seeing as I have done this before to you it shouldn't really be a surprise.  Now I know I don't do this very often but I do occasionally go and see a movie on the weekend. I've said it in the past and I will say it again. Man do I love the movies. But in my life it is not the only thing I love. There are people in my life my family and friends that I love. I love to write, to workout, run, laugh, a good glass of wine or scotch. although I would have today though that movies is in the top three behind my family and friends. The stories that inspire you, make you think, and spark a fire in your soul to make the movie of your life better when you feel lost and down. I am not saying that it is the same for others as it is for me. But these stories have been what is inspiring me to chase my own dreams as hard as it seems but I know if I can rise from the ashes of my mistakes and failures to show the world what I can do and find some measure of success than I know it will be all worth it. It is the stories that come from real life events that I find the most inspiring. And last night that is what I saw at the theatre with two very good friends of mine. We went and saw the movie Only The Brave which boasts a pretty impressive cast that includes Josh Brolin(Men In Black 3, Avengers: Infinity War) as Eric Shane Marsh, Miles Teller(Whiplash) as Brendan McDonough,Jennifer Connelly(A Beautiful Mind)as Amanda Marsh and Jeff Bridges(Crazy Heart) as Duane Steinbrink. So let us have a seat and take a look at what this movie is about.





Eric Marsh(Brolin) has two loves in his life, his wife Amanda(Connelly) fighting forrest fires and his crew are some of the best he has worked with. But the problem is they are not certified Hotshots and are never taken seriously by those that are. He and his crew are like one big happy family. Year after year he loses good men to certified crews. And when two spots open up he gives Brendan McDonough(Teller) a recovering addict who had some trouble with the law a chance to redeem his life. You see Brendan's used to spend most of his time getting drunk and high, not doing too much but lying around in his mothers house. And when his he finds out his ex-girlfriend is pregnant he is called on his issues by her and that she wants nothing to do with him and is going to raise the baby on her own. Rather than having this motivate him to change he goes out and gets so drunk he is thrown out of a local bar where he is busted by the police for theft from a parked car. It is here that when he gets out of prison that his mother throws him out of home causing him to change the course of his life that leads him to Eric's door. After a few bumps he doesn't give up and proves that he belongs and Eric see's in Brendan a lot of himself being a receiving addict himself. The crew becomes his family and does eventually get certified as an official Hot Shot crew. They become the Granite Mountain Hot Shots and during fire season become very busy going from fire to fire helping to stop wildfires and save towns barely seeing their families. This becomes a worry for Brendan who wants to switch to structure fires to be be able to spend more time with his daughter. At first Eric is angry and disappointed with him for wanting to quit the crew but after an argument with his wife he realizes that he too needs a change to spend more time with Amanda and start a family. So on the way to one of the worst wildfires in U.S history he tells his second in command that he is retiring after this fire season. He also tells Brendan that he will do whatever he can to help him out. While on look out duty the fire starts to really spread trapping Brendan and is rescued by one of the other crews on site. The rest of the crew make a decision to go on and try and to keep fighting the fire. But the winds have caused the fire to spread rapidly trapping them and taking their lives in the process.





Now I know I may have given away the ending for you but if you googled this you would have found that out too! I found this movie to be a nice mix of drama and emotion. It told the story of this family of elite firefighters really well. It gave you just the right amount of information into their lives. The story and characters were well written and acted by all involved even Taylor Kitsch who in the past has had some really weak performances but found the right role for him in this movie. The scenes were perfectly chosen for the script for this movie in telling the story of these brave men and their families. This movie was good from beginning to end keeping you interested and engaged in what was transpiring on screen. And it put out some great performances by those involved in it. It hit all the right notes here to make it on my Pick-It List of movies to see in the theatre and I am going to give this movie a 7.5 on The Justin Scale Of Movies. So there you have it my friends my surprise review for you! Now it is time to call it a wrap on this latest review and work on a project I have been doing for the past 6 months. But I will see later on this week with another review. So until next time keep that popcorn freshly popped, save me a good seat and I will see you next time at the movies.


Comments