Going Nuclear With Atomic Blonde

Good day my friends! Hope you are all doing well and are having a great day. Can't believe that it is already August and we are in the tail end of the summer months. This month means a lot to me in so many ways as I have had so many good times in the past in this particular month and it also my birthday at the end of the month.Yup at the end of this month I will be turning 40! Hard to believe that I am entering a new decade of my life.I am a little scared and wondering where the time went but as they say life begins at forty. But with each new decade comes changes in music, science,technology, fashion,politics and movies. But with a new decade of my life on the horizon and the old one ending makes me think back to when I was a kid in the eighties and how life seemed so simple. How the music fem that time has remained timeless and some of the important events that happened to shape our world. We have all this information now at our fingertips to look back on that time. But it is the movies that can take us back to moments in the past like the nineteen eighties through some sort of story that they are telling to bring back that feeling of nostalgia. Now all that sort of happened with the movie I saw last night for this weeks movie review. This week we are looking at the action movie starring Charlize Theron( Monster) and James McAvoy(X-Men: Days Of Future Past) called Atomic Blonde. So let us sit back, relax as we go nuclear with this action/mystery/thriller and see if if it has power or it melts down.




The year is 1989 and East & West Berlin are on the verge of merging and the Berlin Wall falling. There is political unrest in East Berlin, but list of double agents which has become valuable to the Russians, British, French and Americans has surfaced. The list was recovered by a British MI6 agent for a short while and than stolen from him when he was killed by a KGB agent. In order to require the list MI6 sends in one of their best agents Lorraine Broughton(Theron) into Berlin.She is both beautiful and deadly deploying the skills she acquired to stay alive on her mission.She is partnered with another agent and station chief David Percival(McAvoy) to help her navigate her way through the city. A red flag is goes off in her mind as she is immediately made by rival agents soon after arriving in Berlin which makes locating the agent who has the list more difficult. She has her suspicions that Percival is the notorious double agent known as Satchel whose identity is on that secret list that she is looking for. Through a storm of rival agents, defectors, bullets, political unrest and the wheels of history making a major change she must use her skill set to survive and find the list and the identity of Satchel.




Now at first I was like okay this movie looks interesting to see, so I went with a couple of friends and saw it. But for a me it seemed like it was a little hard to follow at first and didn't know what to make of this movie. Maybe because I was a little overtired from my work day and I hadn't been feeling well early on in the week. But after thinking about it for a while today while at work so I could write this review for you I came to the conclusion that this movie wasn't all that bad. I started weighing the good and the bad about the movie like any good reviewer would do. What I found was that this mvid had a nice way of blending the classic 80's pop and rock music in with the scenes of the movie. The imagery of the movie was all greyish and the film used was perfect for capturing the essence of 1980's films. Charlize Theron was pretty bad ass as a deadly but beautiful secret agent and James McAvoy was both gritty and yet charming at the same time with a little bit of an edge to him. The movie kept you guessing who the double agent was. One of my take aways was that it did lag in some spots but managed to keep going after some slow scenes.All in all this was a decent movie for this time of year. It was entertaining, had action, intrigue, nostalgia and some dark humour. I am going to going to give this movie a 6.9 on the Justin Scale Of Movies. This rating just gives it the grade to go on my Pick-It list to see at the theatre. If I had done this last night when I was a little overtired it might have not wound up here. So I guess that is a wrap here for my latest movie revue. Until next time my friend remember to keep that popcorn freshly popped and save me a good seat and I will see you next time at the movies.

Comments