A Trip To A Dark Point In History With Detroit

Hello my friends! Good day to you all, hope you are having a great day and an even greater week! You know sometimes I like to think about where we have been as humans. And then I go and look back at some world history. Because next to movies, history is my next favourite thing! Now not all points in history were fantastic. In a lot of history there was disease, war,greed,murder,political upheaval, sexism and racism.Now in all these years on the planet there have been some things that have changed such as technological advances in communication and medicine but there are still diseases out there in need of a cure. Civil rights have made many steps to try and end discrimination, but yet there is still racism in this world. There hasn't been a world war thankfully in 72 years but there is still wars and fighting that have happened. Now I know maybe I am on a side where I believe we should try and love one another and not judge a person by the colour of ones skin or the religion that they belong to. We need to help one another to have the basic rights in life like quality healthcare and a roof over our heads. Now I know in some respects I will be harassed for my views and called names such as snowflake. But you know what if people want to call me that it is alright because a snowflake is a very beautiful thing as no snowflake is exactly like the other and they are very beautiful things! That is kind of like humanity you see as we are all different. Now I apologize for getting a little political as I know you came here for a movie review and I am Canadian and we apologize an awful lot, hahaha! But what I said does tie in to what movie I am reviewing this week. You see this week I am reviewing the new movie from director Kathryn Bigelow(Zero Dark Thirty) called Detroit which stars John Boyega(Star Wars: The Force Awakens) as Dismukes, Will Poulter(We're The Millers) as Krauss, Jacob Latimore(Collateral Beauty) as Fred and Hannah Murray(Game Of Thrones) as Julie. So Lets sit back as the lights dim in the theatre and witness a dark time in history.





The year is 1967 and a police raid on an unlicensed establishment by police sets off one of the largest race riots in the history of the United States. With no end in site and the riots seemingly getting worse  the governor of Michigan brings in the national guard to help restore order in the city in hopes that would quell the riots. But buildings continue to be burnt, stores continue to be looted as the riots spread so does the tension between the rioters and the police. Working as night security guard an african american man named Dismukes is just trying to earn a living and keep the peace. At the Algiers Motel two white women and ten black men are staying there. When one of the guest fires a starter pistol out the window at the national guard to scare them it is thought to be sniper fire. The national guard and the police track determine the shots came from the Algiers Motel. And soon they converge on it open fire on it. After shooting stops the Detroit Police shoot one man trying to leave the motel and forcefully round up the rest of the people in that part of the motel and have them face the wall. Dismukes makes his way into the motel along with national guard and are witness to the brutal intimidation by the police officers which resulted in beatings and two more black men being killed by the police. After all this the victims of the police brutality eventually went on to testify against the police officers involved and deal with the everlasting emotional scars that remained.





Now in the summer it is rare to find a movie with substance and emotion during summer movie season but now there have been two this year. This movie had a excellent script and was really well performed. There were times in this movie that made me cringe from the scenes of brutality and it also made me cry seeing what the victims went through. The movie was a very powerful look at racism during a time of rioting and tension during the height of the civil rights era. This movie was well done by director Kathryn Bigelow. I know that for some out there this movie might not be their cup of tea, but I think that this is a movie worth seeing and give it a 7.9 on The Justin Scale Of Movies and putting it on my Pick-It list of movies to see at the theatre. Well that is a wrap for me here on this latest movie review. Until next time save me a good seat, keep that popcorn freshly popped and I will see you all at the movies.

Comments