What Happened On Labor Day

Good day my friends, well the month of January has come and gone it seems. Wow that went by quick before you know it we will be right on the doorstep of the summer movie at this pace. But before we can get there we must brave the cold days of February. But this month can't be all that bad! It is the shortest of all the months and it does have Valentines Day. That is if you if celebrate it of course, but if you don't there is still some movies out there this coming month to go and see that have nothing to do with Valentines Day. But wait I am getting a little ahead of myself it seems. We are here to talk about this weeks movie review not the upcoming releases or Valentines Day. So this week I went out into the cold and saw the movie Labour Day which stars Kate Winslet(Titanic) as Adele and Josh Brolin(Oldboy)  as Frank. This movie was directed by Jason Reitman( Juno) who also wrote the screenplay for it based on the novel by Joyce Maynard. So what do you say lets get out of this cold weather and go have a nice warm summer long weekend, even if it is on the movie screen.



It is the summer of 1986 and the Labor Day weekend is approaching. But for young Henry who will be starting the seventh grade and his mother Adele( Winslet)  it will be a weekend that they will never forget. You see Henry takes care of his mother since his father left them for his secretary and remarried. His mother Adele has become depressed and has a hard time going out in public. Henry has taken upon himself to try his best to make her happy. But on a shopping trip to buy some new school clothes the mother and son meet Frank( Brolin) an escaped convict who insists on them giving him a ride. Frank ends up staying at Adele's house, intending on leaving in the morning by hopping on a train. With no trains running  because of the long weekend Frank ends up staying a little longer. What happens to seem like a fugitive on the run taking two people hostage. Actually turns out to be so much more as over the course of the weekend the mother and son learn the truth about Frank. As well Adele and Frank fall in love with one another and Henry gets to have the father figure that he was missing in his life. But as Frank and Adele' s love grows, the three plan to go on the run together if the police don't find Frank first.



So the movie is almost done it seems, the credits are about to roll so I guess we better get this show on the road here and tell you what I thought of this movie.So first of all I have to say that I have never read this book so I don't know how closely this movie follows it. But this is a movie review not a book review my friends so lets remember that please.I personally thought this movie had it's good points. Such as Kate Winslet had a really good performance in this movie . The chemistry between her and Josh Brolin was decent but not overly great. The performances in this movie were all good I would have to say though. I liked that this movie was narrated by the adult Henry played by Tobey Maguire. The movie was a little slow at times and did have flashes of Frank's past which at first kind of confused me. But after a while it seemed to work as the movie progressed. The story was interesting and did have some depth. All in all this movie did have an okay story with some depth and some decent performances but just in the end didn't really seems to grab me.


Now don't get up and go just yet! We still have your favourite part yet to do here, the final rating of this movie. You don't leave a movie before the ending so you can't leave until I give you the rating. So for the movie Labor Day I would have to give it a 6.8 on The Justin Scale Of Movies. Now you know a movie has to get at least a 7.0 to get put in the Pick-It pile and you are precisely right on where I am going with this here. I am going to have to put this movie in my Flick-It pile and while it did have potential, it just wasn't overly strong enough to get put there. I would recommend on waiting for this movie to come out on DVD to watch.

So it seems we have come to the end of another review my friends. The lights are coming up, the credits are rolling and everyone is leaving the theatre. That means it is time for us to call it a wrap on this review. Until next time Good Morning,Good Afternoon, Good Evening and as always Good Viewing.

Comments