Robocop Rebuilt

Good day my friends hope you all had a great week since I wrote on here last. Myself  I had a fantastic week enjoying some quality time with friends and also kicking back and watching a few movies at home. But nothing, I repeat nothing can beat the theatre experience it is my absolute favourite thing to do! And with that little introduction I am here to give you what what you came here to see and that is this weeks latest movie review. Now there were a few movies that I could have went and seen to review for you all but I decided on the remake of the 80's action movie Robocop. This movie stars Joel Kinnaman ( Safe House) as Det. Alex Murphy, Gary Oldman(The Dark Knight) as Dr. Dennett Norton, Michael Keaton( Beetlejuice) as Raymond Sellars and Abbie Cornish( Limitless)  as Clara Murphy. This movie also co-stars Jackie Earl Haley(Watchmen), Jay Baruchel(She's Out Of My League) and Samuel L. Jackson( Pulp Fiction). So we have our seats picked out, some snacks from the concession and the lights are about to go down as the movie is getting ready to begin, let us see just how this movie compares to the original.



In the year 2028 Omnicorp is the leader in robotics and has saved countless soldiers  lives and brought stability to war torn countries around the world with their robotic soldiers. But they have one problem and that is that they can't seem to get over the hurdle of a law that forbids robots from enforcing law and order in the United States. The president of the company Raymond Sellars (Keaton) comes up with a plan to find a way to get the law overturned and make billions by putting a man in the machine making it more human and seen less as a threat. He insists the help of one of Dr. Dennett Norton(Oldman) to help him create this. What they need first is a suitable candidate for the program and enter Det. Alex Murphy( Kinnaman)  from the Detroit police Department a good cop who was badly injured by a car bomb that was meant to kill him and thus end his pursuit of a high profile criminal head and some corrupt fellow officers. Alex's wife Clara(Cornish) agrees to let Omnicorp do this procedure to save her husbands life. At first the shock of being a part man, part robot comes to shock Alex. But he eventuality accepts it and continues to let Dr. Norton help him and is motivated by the promise that he will get to see his family once he is ready for duty. With a few setbacks Alex is made more machine than man and begins to loose his humanity. With the public loving Robocop as he is cleaning up the streets, Omnicorp is poised to have the law against robots on home soil enforcing the law overturned. The corporation also is keeping Clara and her son from seeing Alex that leads her to confront her cyborg husband trying to reason with the human side of him. Eventually the human side of Alex overrides the programming and Alex becomes more human again and not so easy to control and Omnicorp tries to have him shut down and killed.



Well this sounds so much different than the original from the 80's I must say! In fact while I know that some people will say that the original did have it's fine points and was good I would have to say that this movie was better done than that one. This one was not quiet as cheesy as the original even though it did have a couple of the memorable lines from the original in it. I liked the whole idea of this man fighting to keep his humanity. There was more of Alex Murphy's family in this version and I just thought the direction they took this story in was pretty decent. I thought Gary Oldman gave a great performance and Michael Keaton was pretty good as well. Although I did feel that Joel Kinnaman's performance was a little weak, for me he just didn't work in this movie. The action scenes were good as were some of the characters written into the movie such as Samuel L. Jackson's character of  the host of a political based television program which almost kind of seemed like something you would see on Fox News. The script itself was hit and miss but it was none the less pretty interesting and I didn't feel the need to want to have a nap during the movie.


By the looks of the movie screen I see that the movie is just about to end. So we better get to the final rating of this movie here before the movie does end. Now after thinking long and hard about this on my drive home from the movie tonight I came up with my final decision on the remake of the movie Robocop. And it is this, weighing the pros and cons about this movie I am going to be giving this movie a 7.1 on The Justin Scale Of Movies  which just barely puts it above the mark that makes it onto the Pick-It pile of movies to see in the theatre.

Oh my goodness the lights have come up and the credits are rolling on the big screen right in front of us my friends. So I guess we better call it a wrap on this latest movie review. With that being said until next time my friends Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening and as always Good Viewing.

Comments