At Sea With Captain Phillips

Good day my friends I hope you all had a good weekend and are enjoying your week so far. Well if you aren't I sure hope it does get better for you! So I guess you are wondering what movie I am going to be reviewing this week for you all. And I guess seeing you all have waited this long for a me to tell you one more teaser sentence won't hurt at all hahaha! but seriously I will be getting to telling you all what movie I am reviewing and what it is about in just a minute here. I just wanted to take the time to say thank you, thank you all who have been reading my reviews and and checking in here from time tho time to read them and what ever else I had posted up on this blog site.So with that being said I will now tell you which movie I am reviewing for you all and that is the new movie directed by Paul Greengrass( The Bourne Supremacy)  called Captain Phillips which stars Tom Hanks( Forrest Gump, The Green Mile) as Captain Richard Phillips.So let us get to our seats as we are taken out to sea in this real life story on the big screen.



It is march of 2009 and Captain Richard Phillips( Hanks) of the Maersk Alabama is preparing for his journey aboard the freighter ship around the horn of Africa. Knowing the dangers of this journey because of the fact that they must sail near Somalia which has many bands of pirates known for capturing ships and holding them and their crews for ransom. Captain Phillips takes extra precaution and makes sure his crew knows of what to do in case they come in contact with any Somali pirates. In Somalia a Captain of a group of Somali pirates known as Muse is preparing to go out on the water to try and find a ship to capture and crew to ransom. Little do these two men know but their paths are about to cross. While doing a drill to keep his crew prepared for a possible pirate attack Captain Phillips  notices a couple of incoming small skiffs and loses them at first but Muse and 3 other men would come back and make a second attempt this time being successful in boarding the Maersk Alabama. With the crew hiding in the engine room as per protocol and the power cut Muse takes Phillips and those aboard the bridge captive and demands that Phillips takes him below deck along with another pirate to search for the rest of the crew. When the other pirate injured thanks in part to some help from some of Phillips crew Muse orders Phillips to take the injured man back up to the control room. This opens the door for the crew to jump Muse and take him hostage and trade him for Phillips, along with that the band of pirates must leave the ship with $30,000 dollars from the safe in the life boat. But the pirates take Phillips hostage aboard the lifeboat after they get the money and their Captain Muse back. With tensions growing higher on the lifeboat between the pirates Phillips tries to convince the pirates to let him go as the U.S Navy is in pursuit and will not let them reach Somalia. This all leads to a high tension race against time  by the Navy and the Navy Seals to rescue Captain Phillips.




Wow this sounds like a pretty good sounding movie doesn't it well let me tell you it looked as good as it  sounds my friends. You see I found this movie really well done director Paul Greengrass gives us a wonderfully directed movie full of thrills, tension, excitement and drama in the telling of this true story. The story was well written and engrossing keeping you glued to the screen wanting to see how it all unfolds. The chemistry between Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi who played Muse as theses two different men who the only thing they had in common was that they were both captains was great. Tom Hanks again gives us another stellar performance and is easy to see why he has been nominated so many times for Oscars and has walked away with two. All in all a pretty good movie from start to finish that doesn't disappoint.


Well with that all said I guess we better get to the most important thing for this review and that is my final rating on Captain Phillips. So after watching this movie and thinking long and hard I have come to this final decision. My rating on this movie would have to be a 8.3 on the Justin Scale of Movies my friends. This easily makes it a shoe-in for the Pick-It pile of movies that I recommend you see in the theatres. This movie is well worth your hard earned money and you won't be disappointed, you will enjoy this one.

So with that all being said my friends it can only mean one thing and that is the end of this review. This may be the end of this review but stay tuned for more reviews from week to week. But we must call it a wrap on this one so until next time Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening and as always Good Viewing. I will see you all again next time at the movies!

Comments