Taking Prisoners

Good day my friends it has ben a while since I last did a movie review for you all. Well better late than never I say so seeing that I took one of my customary breaks from writing a movie review for you all. It was time  to get right back to business and give you a fresh, brand spanking new movie review. Seeing as it was the first day of fall I thought that there was no better time to make my return back to writing my reviews. So now that I have rambled on here for a while I guess I should get down to writing this weeks review an the first one for the month of September. Now the movie that I have chosen to write a review on is not only the number one movie at the box office this past weekend but was also very well received at the Toronto International Film Festival. Without further ado I give you the movie that I went and saw last night Prisoners which stars Hugh Jackman ( The Wolverine) as Keller Dover, Jake Gyllenhal ( Zodiac) as Detective Loki, Terrence Howard( Ironman) as Franklin Birch, Viola Davis( The Help) as Nancy Birch, Maria Bello( Grown Ups) as Grace Dover and Melissa Leo ( The Fighter) as Holly Jones.Well that is quite the impressive cast list now lets check out this movie shall we?


It is Thanksgiving and Keller ( Jackman) and Grace( Bello) Dover are taking their kids over to their friends and neighbours Franklin( Howard) and Nancy(Davis) Birch for Thanksgiving dinner. But while it may seem like any other ordinary Thanksgiving dinner this one is one that they will soon remember for the rest of their lives. You see because when the Kellers and Birch's little girls want to go and find a lost red whistle at the Kellers house they leave the house without each others older siblings who they were told must go with them. When the evening comes to an end the two girls are no where to be found and it is discovered that they left the house without supervision. The two families go on a search to find the girls with no luck and it is soon discovered that they were abducted and that it might have been by a mysterious RV that was parked on the street earlier on in the day. When the RV is spotted by the police  Det. Loki(Gyllenhal) finds no sign of the two girls  but does find a suspect named Alex Jones( Paul Dano) who has the I.Q of a child. With the search continuing for the two girls turning up with no results, the two families are dealt another blow when the only suspect is let go because of lack of evidence. Keller attacks the young man and his aunt Grace( Leo) ouside the police station and hears something from Alex that convinces him that the Alex is guilty and knows where the girls are. So while the police are following up other leads in the case Keller decides to take the law into his own hands and he kidnaps Alex  and tortures him in order to get him to say where the girls are. But with time running out and no clues or hints as to where his daughter and her friend are there is no telling how far this desperate father will go to protect his family.



Wow! this sounds like a pretty intense movie my friends but with the movie almost done I am going to tell you just what I thought of this movie. First of all I found tho movie to be really well done, a nice mix of drama and suspense. The story was refreshingly original , well written and directed. the 2 and a half hours this movie ran for just seemed to fly by as you could not keep your eyes glued from the screen to see what exactly is going to happen. the cast list was stellar giving us some really great a performances by them all. But some of the stand out performances in this movie I thought went to Paul Dano who played Alex Jones a slow minded young man and Hugh Jackman who I thought did an exceptional job as a desperate father who would stop at nothing to find his missing daughter . The intensity and emotion that Jackman showed in this film felt so real, it got to you and you could even feel it yourself. All in all a really great movie from start to finish if I must say so.


Well the movie is almost done so I guess I better get to the next part of my review here and give you my rating on this movie.You see I am making this movie goes on my Pick-It pile of movies to see in the theatre . This movie was that good and because I am making it one of my Pick-It films to see I am giving it a 8.7 on the Justin Scale of movies. I fully recommend going to see this movie my friends, trust me you won't be disappointed at all.

So the lights are coming up in the theatre and the credits are starting to roll so I guess it is time to call it a wrap on this latest movie review. So until next time my friends Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening and as always Good Viewing I will see you all again
at the movies.

Comments