Now Hitting At The The Theater # 42

Good day my friends long time no talk or whatever you can call this I am after all the one doing all the talking here. As a matter of fact I usually am always talking whether it seems to be here writing you a movie review or when i am taking in person to my friends or complete strangers. I guess I am just a very friendly and approachable person who loves a good conversation.Well now that I am done my babbling on about myself I guess that I should get on with what i am here to do and what you are here to read.Which of course you are here to read my weekly movie review which hasn't been present for about 3 weeks now. It seems I have been doing that every once and a while and I apologize to any of my readers out there for disappearing for little periods at a time I am trying to do my best and sometimes I just need a little break. So for this weeks review I am taking you to a baseball game , this week for my first review of the month of April we are looking at the movie 42. This movie stars Chadwick Boseman ( The Express) as baseball legend Jackie Robinson and Harrison Ford( Raiders Of The Lost Ark) as Brooklyn Dodgers owner Branch Rickey. So shall we get going to the ball game to see the first pitch and maybe catch a home run.


The year is 1945 the second world war has ended and all the baseball players that had enlisted to fight have come back to play. At this time in history the African American had also fought in the war as well but only to come home to segregation and racism.Than one day  Brooklyn Dodgers owner Branch Rickey( Ford) tells his staff that he is about to change the game of baseball forever. He is going to have a negro play ball in the majors for the for the Brooklyn Dodgers. You see at this time in history every major league team was entirely white and negro's played only in the negro league.Well Rickey wants to  change that because he feels that there is a lot of talent being wasted and it could help his ball club to be successful. So he goes searching for the perfect person to be able to have the courage to not do anything when being name called or discriminated against to prove that he can take all that is thrown at him, stand tall and keep going. The person he finds for this is Jackie Robinson(Boseman) a shortstop playing for the Kansas City Monarchs in the Negro League. Jackie starts his major league career in the minors playing 2nd base for Montreal the Dodgers farm team in 1946 and starts to encounter many people who don't like the idea of him playing in professional baseball. Than after proving himself that year comes his chance to really prove himself when he is called up by the Dodgers in 1947 and is really thrust into the spotlight as the 1st baseman for Brooklyn. This is the time that will define him as he encounters more bigotry and hatred from fans and other ball players. But Jackie earns the respect of his Dodger teammates in his battle to break baseballs colour barrier and help the Dodgers win the National League pennant.



Well it seems we are in the seventh inning stretch here so I guess it is time for a little critiquing of this motion picture. So before the game ends lets get to it shall we my friends, good I am glad you agreed because why else would you be here unless you were here to admire mood looks hahahaha! But seriously when it come to the movie 42 this what i have to say about it. Personally I thought it was a really well put together and seemed to flow really well without a lull in the story making want to look at your watch wondering what you were missing on TV.  No not this movie I found it intriguing and also fun to watch with a little bit of humour mixed in it as well. I found the acting performances having been done very well especially Harrison Ford as Dodgers owner Branch Rickey, Chad Boseman performance as Jackie Robinson was really well done as well and him and Ford worked well together.
 All in all a really well put together movie that makes you think and laugh at the same time.


The game is almost over we are about to head into the 9th inning so we really need to get finished up here. Now I know what you are about to say and that is Justin you are going to make this another Pick-it movie, is there any movie that you have not liked and I say yes there have been you just had to go through my review archives. But to answer your question you are right this is a Pick-It movie , it was hard for it not to be one. The movie was enjoyable, well written and good time for your movie dollars and that is why i am giving it a 7.9 on the Justin Scale of movies.

The closer has come into close out the ball game and it is time for me close out this weeks review. So my friends Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening and as always Good Viewing. That's a wrap my friends I will see you all again at the movies.

Comments