Heading Into Oblivion

Good day my friends, well the month of April is almost over with only one more week to go for an April movie review. Man did it fly by fast it just seemed like the this month just started but as one thing ends another begins and when May gets here we will be seeing the start of the summer movie season. But wait I am totally getting ahead of myself here, I need to concentrate on the this weeks movie review that you are here for. So without further ado I am here to tell you about this weeks review, you see this week we are heading to a dark and bleak future. This week we take a look at the new movie Oblivion which stars screen icon Tom Cruise( Jerry Maguire, A Few Good Men) as Jack Harper, Morgan Freeman( Shawshank Redemption) as Beech, Olga Kurylenko( Quantum Of Solace) as Julia and Andrea Riseborough(Never Let Me Go) as Victoria. This movie was directed by Joseph Kosinski(Tron Legacy) who also co-wrote the screenplay for this movie along with Karl Gajdusek and Michael Arndt. So let us go and take a look at this bleak and dismal future for us all on planet Earth shall we?


The year is 2077 and the earth is no longer inhabited by humans after the great war with a race of aliens known as the Scavs. You see the Scavs destroyed the moon which caused earthquakes and flooding and then they attacked the Earth after all of this. Mankind fought back and eventually had to use nuclear weapons to win the war. This left the planet uninhabitable forcing the remaining human population to live on Titan one Saturn's moons and a space station called the Tet. The Earth's remaining resources are being harvested for energy resources on Titan. On Earth is Jack Harper( Cruise ) who repairs the drones on the planets surface that protect the machines used to extract the resources from the remaining Scavs on Earth. Jack is haunted by memories of a life he isn't supposed to remember because his memory had been erased and is also fascinated with the beauty of the planets surface. He is joined by Victoria(Riseborough) who observes his work on the surface. Than one day while turning off a rogue beacon Jack witnesses a shuttle crash. What he finds is sleep pods with humans in it and the face that is familiar to him in his dreams. The drones destroy the pods but Jack manages to save the life of Julia( Kurylenko) who has answers to Jacks memories.The two are eventually captured by Becch( Freeman) a human who tells Jack the truth about what is really has happened on Earth.



Well that sounds like a pretty dark future, oh wait it is just a movie I keep forgetting silly me. Now what I do know though is that this movie did have some promise. It started out good but eventually it really started to drag on, don't get me wrong I thought the story line was interesting but this movie was weak in the middle and than rushed an ending. I found the acting ok but not superb, Morgan Freeman was underused in my opinion and Tom Cruise was good but not one of his strongest performances. Literally this movie was about over two hours of me trying not to fall asleep. A lot of the best parts that drew people to this movie were all in the previews.

So our journey is just about done so let us continue on here with the few miles we have left to go. For Oblivion I thought it had some promise but it didn't quite blow my mind away in the theatre. So it seems that i am going to have to give this movie a 5.5 on the Justin Scale folks. With that being said I will have to put this movie in my Flick-It file my friends. It was in humble opinion not a very strong movie and I would wait for it to come out on DVD if you wanted to see this one otherwise if you are like me it will suck the energy right out of you and have you yawning throughout the entire movie.

Our journey to the future has come to an end my friends and it is time time say farewell and get back to reality. This means that it is time to call it a wrap on this weeks movie review as the credits start to roll. So as always Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening and as always Good Viewing I will see you all again at the movies.

Comments