Taking The Last Stand

Well hello there my friends and welcome to this weeks review,it is full of action & adventure, explosions, car chases . No I am not talking about a biography about Tiger Woods, sorry about my bad attempt at humour but the movie I am talking about is Arnold Schwarzenegger first starring role in years The Last Stand.Now of course as I said earlier action movie legend Arnold Schwarzenegger( The Terminator,The Expendables 2) as Ray Owens, Forrest Whitaker( Good Morning Vietnam) as Agent John Bannister and Johnny Knoxville(Walking Tall) as Lewis Dinkum. So we have our drinks and popcorn , we are seated , the lights are dimming and the show is about to begin so let us see what is in store for us with this action movie. Will it be an enjoyable night out at the movies or a waste of time, well I guess you will have to keep reading to see if I Pick-It Or Flick-It.


In a sleepy little Arizona border town known as Sommerton Junction resides Sheriff Ray Owens(Schwarzenegger) a former L.A.P.D narcotics detective who left his life in California behind in favour of a much quieter form of police work.But life win his sleepy little town is about to get a whole lot more out of control as Gabriel Cortez the head of the most dangerous Mexican drug cartel has escaped F.B.I custody.For it seems that Cortez's men are building portable assault bridge across a canyon near Sommerton that leads into Mexico and the Sheriff has knows something is up when after investigating the death of a local farmer, two of his deputies get engaged in a fire fight with some heavily armed thugs with one of them being killed.Ray contacts the F.B.I and Agent John Bannister( Whitaker)informs him that Cortez is on his way through Sommerton. So with the help of his inexperienced deputies which include local gun collector Lewis Dinkum(Knoxville) ,Sheriff Owens plan to stop Cortez from escaping into Mexico.


Okay so the movie is just about over so lets take a look at what I personally thought of this movie. For starters this was the same old tired action movie formula that we seem to see Schwarzenegger in, which include the cheesy one-liners and Arnie firing the biggest gun possible.The plot was almost like a modern day western with the aging Sheriff protecting his town from the notorious outlaw that is about to ride through and somehow I don't think that  most western towns had Sheriff's with Austrian accents. This type of storyline has been done over and over again.While the action was fun to watch and some funny moments mostly supplied by Johnny Knoxville, Luis Guxman and by Schwarzenegger's cheesy one-liners it is the same old thing we have seen before from Arnie. Let's face it his acting did not get any better while he was away being Governor of California and the acting in this film was not the greatest either with only a few bright spots from Jamie Alexander(Thor) and Johnny Knoxville. All in all it was your typical Schwarzenegger movie from start to finish.


So there it is and the credits are about to roll so we better finish this up here before the lights come up and they start to clean the theatre. Well as you can read from above this is my thoughts on the movie  so here is the rating for it on The Justin Scale for The Last Stand and I would give it a 5.9 . It wasn't the worst movie  I have ever seen, it was somewhere in the middle but it had too many holes and I believe what I gave is more than generous.Now naturally of course here comes the part that i know you have been waiting for and so I would have to say that this movie is a Flick-It. I would definitely wait till this movie comes out on DVD to watch if you want to see it , the only way I would see it again is to watch Johnny Knoxville's antics in the movie.

Well our popcorn and drinks are finished, the show is done, the lights are up and the theatre is about to get cleaned so it is time for us to get going.So I Guess this a wrap on this weeks movie review but stay tuned for many more reviews to come once and maybe even twice a week. As always my friends Good Morning,Good Afternoon,Good Evening and as always Good Viewing I will see all again at the movies.

Comments