February's DVD Pick Comes To Us From The American President

Good day my friends well I know it has taken me a while to decide on this month's dvd pick and I figured hey I better hurry up and pick one soon. That's right I had a tough decision when it came to February's dvd pick but never fear I finally have decided on it and it's a good thing because February is almost over. So without further ado I give you my dvd pick of the month for February and this month I have elected The American President as my choice to represent Pick-ItOr-Flick-It's in this position.This movie is the movie is the logical choice for this month seeing that Valentines Day falls in the month of February and it just seems right to have a romantic movie representing and truth be told this happens to be one of favourites in this genre. The American President stars Michael Douglas(Wall Street) as President Andrew Shepherd and Annette Benning( American Beauty) as Sidney Ellen Wade. This movie was written by Aaron Sorkin(The Social Network) and Directed by Rob Reiner( A Few Good Men, The Bucket List, All In The Family) . It also co-stars Martin Sheen(The Departed,Apocalypse Now) as A.J MacInernery, Michael J.Fox( Back To The Future) as Lewis Rothchild and Richard Dreyfuss(Jaws) as Senator Bob Rumson. Now that sounds like a pretty impressive resume' for a movie if I do say so, lets find out more shall we and pop the movie in the dvd player and take a peek.


American President Andrew Shepherd( Douglas) is one of the most popular Presidents as he has a high job approval rating from the American People. With the State Of The Union Address coming up and his re-election campaign on the horizon he seems like just most Presidents but he is not because President Shepherd is also a single father as he lost his wife to cancer while he was running for President and it has been 3 years since and he wishes to start dating again. But he is the President and that is quite the difficult thing to do when you are the President and constantly under the watchful eye of the media, the voting public and the opposition which looks to find something to use against you in an election year. So first things first he must concentrate on the job he was elected to do and #1 on his list is The Crime Bill something that he campaigned on and would like to get done before The State Of The Union Address. Another piece of legislation comes his way and that is a 20% reduction in emissions of fossil fuels that the GDC wants passed so they bring in a big time lobbyist by the name of Sidney Ellen Wade(Benning) to help get this legislation sent to congress with full support of the White House. But upon first sight President Shepherd is attracted to Sidney and agrees that if Sidney can get the votes needed to get it sent to Congress than he will put the full support of The White House behind it. Wanting to ask her out on a date he is told that it would be disastrous to his Presidency with him dating a political lobbyist. He eventually does and a relationship soon develops that sends his job approval rating plummeting, his opponents attacking his character and losing the support of his colleagues. With all this happening,his job, his legislation and his relationship with the woman he loves in all on the brink of being lost Andrew must make the decision to fight for what is right in his job and his life.



Sounds like a pretty good movie, yup that's what I thought when first watched it maybe that is why I have watched over so many times. It has some great acting performances by all in involved in this movie and Douglas & Benning have a great chemistry on screen. The story was wonderfully written with the perfect blend of comedy/romance/drama all mixed into one movie by Aaron Sorkin and beautifully directed by Rob Reiner. Now you can call me a hopeless romantic but this my favourite movie to watch on Valentines Day heck it is the perfect date movie as well. You would even like this movie even if you weren't a fan of romantic movies.

Well there you have it my friends the movie is finished so before I take it out of the dvd player and put it back into it's case on my movie shelf I should tell you my rating. So my rating for this month's DVD Pick The American President is a 8.3 on The Justin Scale a truly wonderful movie that is done right on so many levels and would be great for a night in when you want to just curl up on the couch and watch a movie with the one you love or even by yourself with a big bowl of popcorn.

 The movie is done and put away back on my shelf so until next month's dvd pick my friends Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening and as always Good Viewing I will see you all again at the movies.    

Comments